The UNEPLive data searchable website was launched in January 2014. As yet, it is still to be fully populated although it is already searchable, and country data is available.
According to UNEP, UNEPLive aims to support the growing demand for substantiated, contextualised knowledge about the environment, and to this end, UNEP has developed rich sets of data and knowledge flows and communities of networks.
The website will provide a system-wide data-knowledge service, a consistent approach to community networking and knowledge synthesis, an Information Communications Technology governance strategy and a comprehensive data policy for external and internal use. It will achieve this by:
- enlarging the knowledge base for global environmental policy through community networking
- encouraging and supporting greater community networking;
- embracing new developments in information and communication technologies and enhancing knowledge service delivery through improved translation and search functions; improving access to its information and knowledge services using distributed computing
- widening the use of its services through clear strategies for governance and data use that reflects the general principles of streamlining, sharing and access
- involving staff and experts from across UNEP, the MEAs and other UN organisations and national institutions, plus regional and global environmental change programmes and assessments.
In order to build the site’s range of data, countries who would like UNEP to support the further development of Country Portals and experts who would like to contribute content to UNEPLive, are encouraged to email UNEPLive at email@example.com